Saturday, April 25, 2009

La-la-la-la-la, I can’t hear you


Être et avoir (2002)

Featuring: Georges Lopez and the children of a rural school in France

The Gist: A lovely documentary that follows the goings-on at the primary school of a very very small village (I do research sometimes honestly, but I can’t remember the name of the village and don’t want to look it up for reasons I’ll explain later). There are about twenty students of varying ages and levels of cuteness. Lopez teaches all of them, in the same room. This makes sense to me since I come from a place where some schools had about 12 students altogether, but the city folk I watched this with were baffled. And by baffled I mean faces permanently set to “what the fug?”.

And then what happens?: It’s so cute that “so” is pronounced “shooooo” and you wave your finger at it and stick out your tongue. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. You’ll feel sophisticated cause it’s French and it's a documentary. Most people need only one of those things to stay classy.

And now a warning: After watching this you’ll have a warm glow, like the world isn’t such a bad place after all. Then someone will try to tell you about what happened after the film was released. I made the decision to put my hands in my ears and live in blissful ignorance and still believe in Santa. But the information is out there if you want it, it’s your call.

See it for: Marie. I laughed out loud just at the sight of her.

Level of Crazy: 10. And by crazy I mean crazy-cute.

2 comments:

  1. Just watched this on the basis of your write-up.
    It's a great documentary, funny, uplifting, inspiring. I felt nostalgic and broody at the same time.

    I think Marie will be CEO of web 3.0 business in the future.

    I similarly will not be putting the title into Google after watching it. As i now know that something *anything* 'happened after the film was released', I'm now terrified that someone will tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what happened. It's not so bad on its own - nay, a common occurence. Saying that I've not seen the film yet...

    Nobody died, was abused or turned out to be a bastard. Worry not.

    ReplyDelete