Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Captain Hammer threw a car at my head


Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog (2008)

Starring: Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day

Weird: How much Neil Patrick Harris looks like an ironed version of Gordon Ramsay.

The Gist: In which Joss Whedon channels his fevered preoccupations with musicals, heroes and villains, Nathan Fillion and general kooky shenanigans into a sing-along blog. Except you can’t sing along because you’ve never heard the songs before. And once you’ve watched it all you won’t remember any of them. Oh and Neil Patrick Harris is in it. Which is nice.

And then what happens?: I’ll admit it right now, I don’t really get this. It’s cute and funny and I was entertained but I have no idea why it exists. And why is it a blog? Does the blog element add anything to it? Not so much, it seems more like an aborted and/or extremely condensed TV series. With songs. And Neil Patrick Harris. Which is nice.

See it for: Neil Patrick Harris. Haven’t you read anything? Also Bad Horse, the super-villain of the piece. He’s an evil horse. He doesn’t do much but that the concept is thrown out there is enough.

Level of Crazy: 7. Maybe 10, I don’t know, I’m still confused. We fear change.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! It exists coz the writers' strike was on at the time,so he produced web content instead. He managed to profit from it. Its been praised as beginning of the future of entertainment. Plus its good. Huzzah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that kind of explains it. I agree with you, I liked it, but it definitely seemed like a compromise having it as a blog. Like it didn't belong or something. Bad Horse, woo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded them for my iPod and whiled away a few trips to and from work. It was fun! Not suited for anything besides an iPod methinks.. I however did sing along. The DLR was a lively place to be that morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude did you know neil patrick harris is not just another gay man, but a magician too??? what the hall
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Patrick_Harris

    ReplyDelete